Skip to main content

How to read & understand your T5

  • Updated

If you’re looking for more information about T5 slips, you've come to the right place. A T5 slip (Statement of Investment Income) is one of the CRA's taxpayer slips Canadian residents file to report their income from various investments.

If you make certain investment income payments to a resident of Canada, or if you receive certain investment income payments as a nominee or agent for a person resident in Canada, you have to prepare a T5 information return.

The financial institution where you’ve opened your investment account will generate a T5 for you. The CRA won't tax income that’s under $50. However, you must report all income on the T5. Please note that most financial institutions won't issue T5 slips if your income is below this amount, which requires record keeping.

Was this article helpful?

Have more questions?